welcome to collectors mind

This is a forum for sharing knowledge, gaining insights and shaping opinions. We will not sit on the fence here or play favorites. The language of art has changed in a blink of a year– today there are market makers, power brokers, savvy investors, flippers, fakes and fund managers. Collectors are nearly extinct. Why? Because collectors can see and COLLECTORS MIND. So together, let’s take a small step to make today’s buyers into tomorrow’s collectors. The future of art depends on it!

Sunday, August 17, 2008

art versus money?

Hi, i have visited ur gallery. i think ur doing good work for Indian art. But,i would like to know that as far as ur saying u want to only concentrate on art , so, how long u keep doing this keeping apart money factor. Actually I ‘m asking u very personal thing if u would like to discus with me u can otherwise it ‘s ok. – ritesh, Mumbai (sent via email)

Dear Ritesh from Mumbai – interesting question you have posed but you are not the first to ask me this and probably not the last so here are my views on this art versus money conundrum

Yes I am saying that I want to only concentrate on ‘art’ - art that touches and moves me, art that challenges me and my views of life around me, art that breaks down artificial barriers, preconceived notions and personal prejudices. It is ultimately about the quality of art and in turn the quality of life that I am after, and I think we are all after…

When you are confronted with art that has the ability to ‘transform’ and ‘enhance’ your quality of life, ‘enrich’ your way of thinking then where is the concern about the money factor? This kind of art has to find a buyer because when something affects you so deeply you will want to make it part of your life. It may not happen so readily today, because many are looking at art purely as an investment in the economic sense rather than an investment in a new way of looking at their own views, their preconceived notions, their prejudices and those of the world around them - but I am sure it will happen.

All serious collectors start from the art - from the emotional response that emanates from the art. There is no reason why the money factor and the art factor should be mutually exclusive but for that to happen we need more collectors with confidence - buyers with brave eyes otherwise of course the wheels of creativity cannot turn and we risk reverting back to creating, curating, and collecting staple art that is only partially nutritious!
Abhay